Pipeline Track Loop, Kawarren
The Pipeline Track loop is an easy introduction into gravel grinds in the Otways.
Just shy of 25km, 646 elevation, this loop will take about 1.5 hr at an average speed of 17kmph. Most of the climbing is at the start on Roadknight Creek rd.
You start with a few kilometres on the seal before your first taste of gravel. The climb heads up with forest on the right and a plantation on the left. This is usually a well maintained road.
Pipeline Track itself has a well formed gravel/dirt track on the right, or for those wanting more adventure, you can try riding the 4wd track on the left. The 4wd track is often full of puddles and slushy except in summer and wide tyres or a mtb go well here.
For those riding fully rigid or with skinnier/slick tyres, we suggest sticking to the more official track on the right. In the wet, there are stretches of clay even on the formed track to keep you on your toes. If your gravel tyres are fairly slick down the centre, you will most likely lose traction at some point if it's been raining recently but that just adds to the adventure. But don't worry, if you do have to walk a short section or two, it doesn't add much to the time overall.
- Leave Forrest via Turner Drive, next to the Brewery and ride for 1.3km.
- Turn left when it intersects the Colac-Forrest Rd and ride 1.5km.
- Turn left at Roadknight Creek Rd, ride this for 5.8km.
- Take a right turn onto Ridge Rd, and follow it for 1.8km.
- Take a right-hand turn on Pipeline Track and follow it for 5.1km. Pipeline Track intersects with the Colac-Olangolah Pipeline Track, but you veer to the right at "the big sandy intersection" and continue on Pipeline.
- This comes to a T intersection with Porcupine Lane, at which you turn left.
- Ride 750m on Porcupine Lane.
- Taking the next right, you follow Boundary Rd for 6km. Take care crossing the Colac-Forrest Rd. Boundary Rd takes you past the Yaugher MTB Trail head.
- Continue on Boundary down to the main road back into town (Birregurra-Forrest Rd).
- Cross over the Birregurra-Forrest Rd to the other side and take the small piece of singletrack.
- The singletrack spits you out on the Tiger Rail Trail.
- Turn right and follow the Tiger Rail Trail back up into town for 2km.
Please note: mobile reception limited once you hit Pipeline Track.