Kawarren Loop AC
The Kawarren Loop AC takes in a variety of views as you wind out of town through paddocks. Following a section of the Old Beechy Rail Trail, you will find yourself rolling down green gullies and past points of historical interest. From Kawarren East, you head back up into the dry Eucalypt forest up to the plantations behind Forrest. An enjoyable roll down Roadknight Creek Rd will have you coasting back into town for some food and drink.
The route is just shy of 50km long and has almost 900 vert metres. My time of 3:40 was ridden in a group social ride at an average speed of 16kmph.
This route is majority gravel roads in good condition most of the time. The section of the Old Beechy can be muddy/slippery after rain but still rideable on a rigid gravel bike. A hard tail would also be fine for this route. There is a short section of bitumen to get you back into town.
This course starts with green paddocks, then some dry Eucaltypus forrest. The Old Beechy has some greener gullies/wet Eucalytpus forrest with some historical points of interest dotted along it. After leaving the Kawarren area, you head back up into the dry Eucalypt forrest, before finding yourself coasting down beside plantation. A short section of bitumen gets you back into town.
Starting in the main street of Forrest at the Brewery:
- Head down Blundy Street to the end, turn right onto Station Street.
- Take the next left onto Hennigan Crescent, before you follow it to the left to head onto Kaanglang Rd.
- Ride this for a few hundred metres before a left turn onto Yaugher Rd. This road runs paralell with the main street of town and gives you nice views of the valley in between. Yaugher Rd eventually winds back down to the Forrest-Birregurra Rd.
- Turn right onto Forrest-Birregurra Rd, then a quick left onto Boundary Rd.
- After a few hundred metres, turn right up Cemetary Rd and stay on this to the end.
- Turn left at Seven Bridges Rd and ride 3.5km to the next intersection.
- Turn right onto Colac-Forrest Rd.
- Take the next left onto Meadowell Rd.
- In 2km follow the road to the right where it becomes Gold Hole Rd.
- In 3.7km, turn right onto Pipeline Rd.
- In 500m turn left onto Barongarook Rd.
- In 2km, turn left onto Robinsons Rd.
- In 750m, turn right onto Maggios Rd.
- In a few hundred metres, you will see that the Old Beechy Rail Trail crosses Maggios Rd.
- Turn left onto the Old Beechy Rail Trail.
- Follow the Old Beechy Rail Trail until you reach Kawarren East Rd and turn left.
- Following Kawarren East Rd for 650m then turn right onto Bull Hill Rd.
- Ride 2.6km unless the road rejoins Kawarren East Rd. Turn right onto Kawarren East Rd.
- Take the next left onto Ridge Rd.
- Follow Ridge Rd for 9km.
- Roll onto Roadknight Creek Rd and follow this to the end.
- Turn right onto Colac-Forrest Rd (bitumen) and ride 1.5km.
- Turn right onto Turner Drive. This will bring you the back way into town and you will find yourself back at the Brewery.
Phone reception may be limited in some areas. Bring plenty of water and snacks.
Please be mindful of possible walkers on the Old Beechy Rail Trail.